Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Bells and Essays

Since Friday I have been mainly working an essay (one that turned into a 3500 word monstrosity); Saturday was devoted to reading, Sunday evening and Monday to writing.

I did, however, find some time to go to church and evensong Sunday during the day. Church was at St. Ebbes, an Anglican low church; it felt similar to church at home (escept there was actual wine for the Eucharist - and pretty decent wine, at that); the preaching was good, and the worship effective. I prefer it to St. Andrews, and unless I visit another one I like better, will probably go there regularly.

For evensong, I visited St. Giles - a high church Anglican church. There, they were having a special bellringers evensong, which meant we got to hear a handbell choir (which was pretty amazing). I enjoyed that service as well, and very well may go back.

As a last note to all you tea drinkers back home (Mark & Angie especially) - an interesting tidbit from Jonathon Kirkpatrick (one of the Junior Deans here, a student at Baliol College, and a proper English gentleman by any measure); when you get tea with milk, put the milk in first, then the tea - it tastes better that way (and is a proper English way of doing it).

1 comment:

bajo said...

I always like to put the solute for a solution or the "lesser substance" of a mixture into the container first. I think that is good mixing sense even more than good English sense. :)

Daddy-O