Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Tutorials and Choral Evensong

This weekend (as usual) was more or less consumed with writing my essay (the last one involving Walpole, it least as a political figure)); and, as last week, the 2500 word goal turned out a 3900 product (no, 2500 was not a guideline from Dr. Kilburn - I simply set it as a decent goal to have for each Primary essay).

However, I was not too busy reading and writing to make it (twice) to church at St. Mary the Virgin (the University church; in medieval times, Oxford University was entirely contained in the old Norman [11th century] cathedral. Coincidentally, Cardinal Newman was Vicar there at one point, and among notable attendees were the Wesley Brothers). The service was liturgical (its a High Anglican Church) and a marked contrast to the low churches (St. Andrews and St. Ebbes) that I had attended. I enjoyed the service, and appreciated the depth in the liturgy and hymns we sung (and the scholar in me loved the Latin). That evening, the same church had a massive choral evensong (like, 200 people in the choir; 14 different college choirs combined); thatwas amazing to hear - and we also got a pretty good (if debated, at least among SCIO students) sermon from the Bishop of Lincoln.

I had tutorials again, and they seemed to go well (Dr. Bell has now taught me both truth tables and tableau in logic).

That about sums it up.

2 comments:

kathleen Rubio said...

You seem to be getting quite an interesting combination of different religious traditions. I look forward to hearing about visits to Pentecostal or Charismatic churches;-) Julianna attended services with a well known prophet from Australia this weekend. She was a bit skeptical but came away with a deeper understanding of the work of the Holy Spirit.I'm glad you seem to be enjoying so many new sights, sounds, people and activities. I can't wait to come share some of them with you.
Love and hugs,
Mom

bajo said...

Sounds rather grand. So is Christianity a bit drier at these high church services, or is there still a discernable passion for the Lord?

RR