Saturday, January 26, 2008

Chess and Reading

You'll find it no surprise that the better part of my week (as usual) was spent reading in preparation for my next essay; this is only the third essay of the term, and I'm already about half way to the page count I racked up last semester; no class back home will feel like alot of reading by the time I'm finished here.

Beyond reading, the main event of note from the past week involves an old pastime of mine: chess. There are several of us living here at the The Vines who enjoy the Game of Kings, and with three of us at about an even skill level, we get some fun games going. Tuesday evening, myself and one of the other guys from here decided to go and pay the Oxford Chess Society a visit, and found that we liked, and - when homework permits - will go back. There were people there of all different skill levels, and it was an enjoyable evening.

That's about all that has happened recently - I've done some work here at The Vines, and some at the Bodleian, but my tutorials have manged to keep my fairly (but not overwhelmingly) busy.

1 comment:

bajo said...

Mom regrets she didn't beat you at chess when she had the chance. I don't - but I do remember when the coin flipped for us. I think we played a best of three or five and I won a split decision; we played another set a day or few days later and you won.

RR