Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Essays and A Really High Church

This weekend was consumed by a long (4800 word) essay. I read multiple biographies and wrote a brief account of the career of Pitt the Elder.

In all of this, however, I did manage to make it over to a new church; this week: St. Mary Mag, ostensibly the highest church in Oxford (incense, holy water, &c.); the music there is of particular comment - the choir was one of the best I've heard here. The congregation also seemed quite personable - I think it counts as my favourite of all the churches I've been too thus far.

Thats about it for the weekend, however, to give you a sense of some of the amusing things that happen here, I've decided to sporadically give lists of quotes & anecdotes; frequency will depend on the wit of those here.

Quotes:

Academics
"If you're psycho, you're not right," ~ Dr. Leftow, Existence of God lecture
"I sometimes have oak-hallucinations," ~ Dr. Leftow, Existence of God lecture
"This is my translation, so it may be confusing." ~ Dr. Tunstall, History and Modern Language lecture
Dr. Kilburn: Did you do anything exciting this week?
Me: Mainly just working on this essay
Dr. Kilburn: I thought so when I saw you'd sent me a file with 22 sides [pages]


SCIO Students
"Certainly anything less than sub-atomic weapons should be legal" ~ Me, comments on Gun Control
"Why do people always say 'be a man' and then tell me to do something stupid?" ~ Paul Ferrell
"Only a philosopher would understand that diagram." ` Nevin Climenhaga, comments on Existence of God lecture
"No one told me it was the big beautiful Georgian building," ~ Faith Dever, after failing to find the Examination Schools

1 comment:

bajo said...

High church, eh? IMHO it isn't high unless everything but the sermon is sung. :)

Love, RR