Monday, February 25, 2008

Fine

The title should be read as Italian.

Anyway, its been awhile ere I updated; the main reason for that is that the last two weeks the essays have been harder and the reading lists longer. Now, however, I can finally see the light of spring break at the end of the tunnel; I finished off my secondary tutorial today, and now only have one essay left in my primary - the second to last meeting is tomorrow.

Term winding down does not mean the end of my stay here is in sight, but it does mean things get a little less frenetic. We have another class with the SCIO staff after term, and also a seminar with a long essay (the draft proposal for which was due this morning).

Other than tutorials (hah - do we do anything other than tutorials here?), I've been to church at Magdalan College and at Christ Church Cathedral the last two weeks. Both were excellent, and the architecture only made things better. I've come to rather enjoy the liturgical Anglican services, and of course the choral music can't hurt.

I've also attended some really good lectures over the last couple weeks - today one on Halley's Comet and the Fall of Jerusalem was particularly good.

Anyway, that more or less summarizes whats been going on the last few weeks.

2 comments:

bajo said...

Is this the idea that Halley's comet (or some other comet) foretells some event of doom?

RR

Daniel said...

Not quite - he was arguing that the comet in Josephus before the destruction of Jerusalem is the so-called 'missing' Greco-Roman confirmation of the 66 AD arrival of Halley's comet.

He discussed comets as portents of doom in the previous lecture in the series (showing the origins of that belief in the Greco-Roman world).